George R. Buchanan Lectureship Eligibility Criteria and Selection Procedure
Approved February 2015
The purpose of the annual George R. Buchanan Lectureship is to honor Dr. Buchanan and assure that future generations of pediatric hematology/oncology specialists are aware of his significant contribution to ASPHO and the field. Dr. Buchanan has made scientific contributions in many areas of pediatric hematology and oncology; and among his many attributes, he has been recognized as an outstanding teacher and mentor. He served as Past President of the Society and founded and developed the ASPHO Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Board Review Course, a premier education offering for the field. The award will annually recognize a national/international expert in pediatric hematology/oncology who meets the criteria below.
- The George R. Buchanan Lecture is to be delivered annually by a nationally and/or internationally recognized pediatric hematologist/oncologist who is a recognized expert in their field.
- The recipient should have significant research, education, and clinical expertise.
- The recipient should be recognized as an accomplished educator, committed mentor, and effective speaker.
- The individual chosen for this award must agree to attend the ASPHO Annual Meeting and present a 35-45 minute clinical review, including current research and clinical management of patients on a topic relevant to the field.
- The recipient will be a member of ASPHO in good standing.
Nomination and Selection Procedure
- Nominations for the Buchanan award are solicited from ASPHO members and must include a letter of nomination and current curriculum vitae.
- Nominations will be compiled for review by the Board of Trustees.
- The George R. Buchanan lecturer will be chosen six to nine months before each Annual Meeting.
Recognition and Expense Reimbursement
The recognition of the Buchanan lecturer each year will receive:
- An award plaque to be presented before the lecture
- Complimentary meeting registration
- Round-trip economy airfare
- Two nights in the meeting hotel
- $500 honorarium