COVID–19 Resources for Pediatric Hematologists/Oncologists
Updated on September 2, 2021
All communities face a major public health concern with the current outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19). ASPHO is staying abreast of developments related to the spread and will continue to provide helpful resources to our providers caring for children, adolescents, and young adults with blood disorders and cancer.
ASPHO members are encouraged to continue posting questions or sharing information on our Clinical Forum that would be useful to the community.
- CDC Weekly COVID-19 Science Update
- Joint Statement in Support of COVID-19 Vaccine Mandates for All Workers in Health and Long-Term Care
- Post-COVID-19 Conditions in Children and Adolescents
- CDC Recommends COVID-19 Vaccination for Everyone 12 Years and Older
- COVID-19 Vaccine: What Parents Need to Know
- ASPHO's advocacy work contributed to two pieces of legislation becoming law in the CARES Act.
- ASPHO 2020 Telehealth Survey Executive Summary
- The Advocacy and Practice committees collaborated on the ASPHO 2020 Telehealth Survey to assess the impact of telehealth on pediatric hematology/oncology due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Based on the survey data and feedback from participants, both committees have established action plans related to the future of telehealth in PHO.
Telemedicine Services Expanded: Telemedicine has been broadened to address the COVID-19 public health emergency. Medicare coverage and payment for telemedicine services have been expanded on a temporary and emergency basis. States are also allowing license flexibility during the crisis. These regulatory flexibilities are still in effect and the Department of Health and Human Services has provided several useful resources, including information on Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- AMA Quick Guide to Telemedicine
- AAP Coding for Telemedicine Services
- CMS FAQs: Medicare and Telehealth During COVID-19
- CMS State Medicaid & CHIP Telehealth Toolkit
- CMS Video: Common Questions About Medicare Telehealth Services During COVID-19
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Guidance is available specifically for Healthcare Professionals, Healthcare Facilities, Health Departments and Laboratories
- 2021 COCA Calls/Webinars Information, Summaries, & Slide Sets
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) offers resources including Checklists and Tools to Accelerate Relief for State Medicaid and CHIP Programs
- Learn to Vaccinate: Clinician Resources Webpage with a searchable database of accredited CE activities and links to key articles and other relevant, timely materials.
- NIH Treatment Guidelines for COVID-19 – US Expert Panel updating living document on most recent clinical data and recommendations for treatment.
- COVID-19 Prevention Network – Information on ongoing clinical trial to secure a vaccine.
Health Provider Well-Being
- ASPHOcast podcast
- 2021 ASPHO Conference On-Demand, including wellness resources and well-being sessions
- Summary of ACGME Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Program Requirements on Well-Being
- ASPHO Well-Being Special Interest Group
- Apps for meditation, mindfulness and sleep
Return to School
- Pediatric Blood & Cancer: COVID-19 Collection
- New England Journal of Medicine: COVID-19 is culminating articles and other resources for providers
- Wiley Publishers is making a collection of journal articles and our book chapters on coronavirus research freely available to the global scientific community
- Pediatrics: COVID-19 Collection
- JAMA: COVID-19 Collection
Sickle Cell Disease Association of America provides weekly updates each Friday on COVID-19 data and evidence relevant to Sickle Cell Disease care providers.
ACGME provides guidance to teaching hospital with increased clinical demands.
Blood Donation Supply: The COVID-19 outbreak has caused a severe blood shortage. Blood donation resources are available here:
US Food & Drug Administration has up to date information on the current status of:
American Medical Association (AMA)
What People With Cancer Need to Know: A COVID-19 blog that is updated daily with recommendations from an ASCO affiliated physician.