Call for Workshops
2022 ASPHO Conference
May 4-7, 2022
Please read the following information before submitting your proposal.
General Information Regarding Workshops
The American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (ASPHO) will hold its 2022 Conference, May 4-7, 2022 in Pittsburgh, PA. The ASPHO Conference Planning Committee invites the submission of proposals for workshops to be presented during the conference in Pittsburgh. At this time, the conference will occur in-person. Final determination of any opportunity to attend and/or present virtually will be finalized at a later date.
All proposals for workshops should be interactive, problem-solving discussions, debates or cases geared toward the educational needs of a specific audience. Topics can focus on specific diseases including molecular targets and mechanisms of diseases, clinical trial updates, disease registries, laboratory or translational science, or professional development. Your workshop will be evaluated and scored based on both content and planned audience engagement. Submitters should seek speakers from a varied group of faculty (e.g.; multiple institutions, multiple career stages, etc).
All workshops will have one person assigned from the Conference Planning Committee to provide oversight to ensure interactivity, review presentation slides prior to the conference, verify that the presenters provide a balance between clinical and biology during the session, and verify that no more than two people from one institution will be represented.
**SPEAKER REIMBURSEMENT POLICY**
Each session is limited to a moderator and up to 3 additional speakers (3 members of ASPHO, 1 non-member of ASPHO). Member speakers will receive $250 honorarium for their participation in the session. Nonmembers who are pediatric hematologist/oncologists will receive $250 honorarium for their participation in the session. Nonmembers who are NOT pediatric hematology/oncology professionals will receive: $250 honorarium, one round trip coach-class airfare, one night at the host hotel, and complimentary conference registration. Any requests differing from this policy will need to have written documentation supporting the need and must be approved by the Board of Trustees.
Submissions will need to include a clearly-articulated rationale for the session, which describes the need and intended outcome. As part of your description you will be asked to answer these questions:
- What is the gap or problem that exists and how will it be addressed?
- Why is there a gap or problem? What is causing it to occur?
- What will learners be able to do with this information?
You will also be asked to provide one source of data which speaks to the need for this topic (this can be needs assessment data, statistics regarding the topic, etc.).
The submittal system will remain open from June 17 – July 29, 2021. The system will close at 3:00PM CT on the deadline date and additional submissions will not be accepted.
All applicants will be notified no later than September 30, 2021 regarding selection of their workshop.
Faculty Disclosure Requirements
ASPHO requires full faculty disclosure and a speaker agreement from all faculty. Completed disclosure forms and speaker agreement must be received by August 12, 2021, to be reviewed and discussed for potential and real conflicts of interest by the Accreditation Subcommittee of the Education Committee. The submission system will close on July 29, but the forms will remain accessible to faculty until August 12, 2021. Faculty members failing or refusing to complete the forms will be prohibited from participating in the conference. ASPHO requires that all contributions to a CME activity are based on the best available evidence (refer to the ASPHO Content Validation Guide).
All proposed speakers named on this proposal will receive an e-mail notice which instructs each of them, individually, to visit the proposal before the August 12, 2021 submission deadline to complete their disclosure form and speaker agreement. This notice will be sent to all speakers as soon as the submission forms are complete and the "Submit this Proposal now for review" button has been selected. Additionally, submitters should contact the speakers named on the proposal to notify them of their inclusion in the submission and to remind them to complete their disclosure information and speaker agreement before the August 12 deadline.
Proposals for Workshops
Workshops are scheduled to take place in Pittsburgh, PA Wednesday, May 4 - Saturday, May 7, 2022. All faculty must be willing and able to present on these dates. Workshop sessions are typically 60-90 minutes in length as determined by the committee.
For each submission, you will be asked for:
- Presentation title
- Presentation description (100 words or less for publication on the ASPHO website, mobile app, and marketing materials)
- Learning objectives (2-3 statements defining the expected outcomes, including the most recent updates in that area)
- Information source
- Agree to work with a member of the Conference Planning Committee for oversight of your workshop. You and your speakers will be expected to submit your presentation slides to this committee member two weeks prior to the conference
- Presentation outlines (a minimum of half the time should be interaction with cases, debates, etc.)
- Provide details on how you plan to make your workshop interactive
- Moderator and presenter contact information (include: name, credentials, employer, address, phone, email, and if different from above, presentation title)
- Verification that a young investigator was involved in the planning and implementation of this workshop
- If more than one speaker is from the same institution, or if there is not a young investigator/early career professional involved, please justify why you feel this is necessary