Call for Workshops
2023 ASPHO Conference
May 10-13, 2023
Fort Worth, TX
Please read the following information before submitting your proposal.
General Information Regarding Workshops
The American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (ASPHO) will hold its 2023 Conference, May 10-13, 2023, in Fort Worth, TX. The ASPHO Conference Planning Committee invites the submission of proposals for workshops to be presented during the conference in Fort Worth. At this time, the conference will take place in-person and all speakers will be expected to deliver their presentation in-person live in Fort Worth, TX.
All proposals for workshops should be interactive, problem-solving discussions, debates, or cases geared toward the educational needs of a specific audience. Topics can focus on specific diseases including molecular targets and mechanisms of diseases, clinical trial updates, disease registries, laboratory or translational science, and/or professional development. Your workshop will be evaluated and scored by the Conference Planning Committee. Submitters should seek speakers from a diverse group of faculty (keeping in mind gender, institution size, race/ethnicity, career level, etc.).
All workshops will have one person assigned from the Conference Planning Committee to provide oversight, review presentation slides prior to the conference, verify that the presenters provide a balance between clinical and biology during the session, and verify that no more than two people from one institution will be represented.
**SPEAKER REIMBURSEMENT POLICY**
Each session is limited to a moderator and up to 3 additional speakers (3 pediatric hematology/oncology professionals, no more than 1 non-pediatric hematology/oncology professional).
Speakers who are pediatric hematology/oncology professionals will receive a $250 honorarium for their participation in the session.
Speakers who are non-pediatric hematology/oncology professionals will receive a $250 honorarium for their participation in the session, one round trip coach-class airfare, one night at the host hotel, and complimentary conference registration.
(Any requests differing from this policy will need to have written documentation supporting the need and must be approved by the ASPHO Board of Trustees.)
Workshop submissions will need to include a clearly articulated rationale for the session, which describes the need and intended outcome. As part of your description you will be asked to answer these questions:
- What is the gap or problem that exists and how will it be addressed?
- Why is there a gap or problem? What is causing it to occur?
- What will learners be able to do with this information?
You will also be asked to provide one source of data which speaks to the need for this topic (this can be needs assessment data, statistics regarding the topic, etc.).
The workshop proposal system will remain open from June 9–August 11, 2022. The system will close at 3:00 pm Central Time on the deadline date and additional submissions will not be accepted.
All applicants will be notified of the committee's selection decision regarding their workshop proposal no later than October 31, 2022.
Faculty Disclosure Requirements
To comply with ACCME standards, ASPHO requires full disclosure and a signed speaker agreement from all faculty. Completed disclosure forms and the speaker agreement must be completed to be reviewed and discussed for relevant conflicts of interest by the Accreditation Subcommittee of the Education Committee. Faculty members failing or refusing to complete the forms will be prohibited from participating in the conference. ASPHO requires that all contributions to a CME activity are based on the best available evidence (refer to the ASPHO Content Validation Guide).
All proposed speakers named on the proposal will receive an e-mail notice which instructs each of them, individually, to visit the proposal to complete their disclosure form and speaker agreement. This notice will be sent to all speakers as soon as the submission forms are complete and the "Submit this Proposal now for review" button has been selected. Additionally, submitters should contact the speakers named on the proposal to notify them of their inclusion in the submission and to remind them to complete their disclosure information and speaker agreement.
**NOTE: submission of the speaker agreement and disclosures DOES NOT imply acceptance of the proposal. Applicants will be notified no later than October 31, 2022.
Proposals for Workshops
Workshops are scheduled to take place in Fort Worth, TX, Wednesday, May 10-Saturday, May 13, 2023. All faculty must be willing and able to present on any of these dates. Workshop sessions are typically 60-90 minutes in length as determined by the committee.
For each submission, you will be asked for:
- Session title
- Session description (100 words or less for publication on the ASPHO website, mobile app, and marketing materials)
- Learning objectives (2-3 statements defining the expected outcomes, including the most recent updates in that area)
- Information source/citation
- Acknowledgment that you agree to work with a member of the Conference Planning Committee for oversight of your workshop. You and your speakers will be expected to submit your presentation slides to this committee member prior to the conference for review.
- Presentation outline(s)
- Provide details on how you plan to make your workshop interactive
- Moderator and presenter contact information (including: name, credentials, institution, address, phone, email, and individual presentation title)
- Verification that a young investigator will be involved in the planning and implementation of this workshop
- If more than one speaker is from the same institution, or if there is not a young investigator/early career professional involved, provide justification on why you feel this is necessary