Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at ASPHO
ASPHO is committed to a welcoming and inclusive experience for its members and supports their passion for equitable healthcare access for all pediatric hematology/oncology patients. Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are infused into the Society through its leadership development, Diversity Statement, the volunteer Diversity Advisory Group, Points of Diversity representation guidelines, and the member-driven Diversity Special Interest Group. ASPHO also published a statement in 2020 condemning racism and supporting healthcare equity. Comments and suggestions related to DEI issues within the Society and field are welcome and can be sent via the link at the bottom of the page.
Diversity Advisory Group
The Society aspires to represent all members and support their capacity to contribute fully to the pediatric hematology/oncology field through engagement, resources, and programs. The Board appointed the Diversity Advisory Group in 2018 to:
- counsel the Board of Trustees on the needs and opportunities for promoting diversity, inclusion, and cultural competency within the Society as guided by ASPHO’s Diversity Statement
- conduct cultural and demographic analyses of membership and volunteer representation
- provide Diversity Corner articles for the bimonthly member communication eNews
The Diversity Advisory Group is implementing actions in response to member survey feedback about their diversity experience at ASPHO, including assessing the Society's volunteer diversity, communicating DEI aspects of Society activities, and providing DEI resources on aspho.org.
*Top 5 Countries of Origin
- United States
- United Kingdom
*Countries of Origin of ASPHO Board of Trustees: United States including Puerto Rico as well as Argentina, Canada, Ireland, India.
- ASPHO Webinars: Overcoming Obstacles in Advancement for Women in Medicine, Diversity in the Scientific Workforce.
- ASPHO eNews: features regular Diversity Corner articles on issues selected by ASPHO's Diversity Advisory Group with contributions from members and the Diversity Special Interest Group.
- Recent articles include Addressing Inclusion in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Through Telehealth During the Pandemic and ASPHO Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Transparency, a Step Toward Progress and Open Dialogue on Diversity at #ASPHO2021. Diversity Corner articles from past years can be accessed in Member Insights: eNews 2020 Highlights, Member Insights: eNews 2019 Highlights, and Member Insights: eNews 2018 Highlights.
- ASPHO Conference: ASPHO's annual event remains committed to integrating DEI into the education and programming provided.
- The 2021 ASPHO Conference featured a Presidential Symposium and roundtable discussion on "Healthcare Disparities in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology" as well as an open forum for members during its Diversity Dialogue.
- Knowledge Center: access Society webinars and other resources on related patient care and practice issues
- Support ASPHO Advocacy for PHO patients and specialists
- Advocacy Brief: We Must Support Black Lives to Improve Sickle Cell Disease Care
Diversity refers to the composition of a group of people from any number of demographic backgrounds, identities (innate and selected), and the collective strength of their experiences, beliefs, values, skills and perspectives.
An equitable environment challenges intentional and unintentional forms of bias, harassment and discrimination and promotes alternative actions. As an environment can be welcoming and inequitable, attention will be paid to recognizing and eliminating barriers to full participation at individual and systemic levels.
Inclusion is the act of establishing philosophies, policies, practices, and procedures to ensure equal access to opportunities and resources to support individuals in contributing to the organization's success.
Other DEI Resources
- Implicit Association Test
- The time is now: Student-driven implementation of social justice and anti-racism focused curricula in medical scientist training program education
- AMA Physician Diversity
- Association Forum Welcoming Environment
Update your member profile to help ASPHO better know – and represent – its membership.