Physician Scientist Special Interest Group
The Physician Scientist Special Interest Group (APP SIG) will provide a national networking forum for members who are interested in a career as a physician scientist (lab-based) in the field of pediatric hematology/oncology. The expected membership and audience include physician scientists with significant lab-based effort, as well as non-physicians (basic scientists, nurses, students etc.) who have a strong interest in basic/translational research in pediatric hematology/oncology, and clinical investigators who have a strong interest to collaborate with basic/translational researchers. The mission of the PS SIG is to support the advancement of ASPHO members and the field through advocacy for physician scientists among the membership and leadership of ASPHO and related professional organizations, as well as the home institutions of the members.
- To assess the needs of ASPHO members who are physician scientists.
- To provide networking opportunities for ASPHO members interested in basic or clinical translational research.
- To discuss possible solutions to address the needs of physician scientists in the current academic climate.
- To provide mentorship to early career physician scientists and trainees.
- To advocate for physician scientists in collaboration with ASPHO leadership and related professional organizations as well as home institutions of the members.
MD, Past Chair
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
, MD MS, Chair
University of California, Los Angeles
Chandrika Gowda Behura, MD, Vice Chair
Penn State Health Children’s Hospital
Penn State University College of Medicine
A discussion group in the ASPHO member community has been designated for members of the SIG to share information, documents, links and files. Members can join the SIG from their My Account Special Interest Groups account page. Current SIG members can access the community directly to participate.